Ann Matter teaches and studies the history of Christianity in the Middle Ages and Early Modern periods, with special attention to the history of spirituality and devotion, the interpretation of the Bible, and the roles of women. Her focus is on the Latin tradition, and on textual studies and editing, especially in Latin and Italian.
Ph.D., Religious Studies, Yale University, 1976;
M.Phil., Religious Studies, Yale University, 1975;
M.A., Religious Studies, Yale University, 1975;
B.A., Religion, Oberlin College, 1971
- history of Christian culture, from the middle ages to the 17th century;
- history of interpretation of the Bible;
- spirituality and mysticism in the Christian tradition from the middle ages to the present;
- women in Christian history;
- sexuality in Christian history;
- medieval manuscript and textual studies;
- music in the history of Christianity.